Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Armageddon by Barbara Ang

I never really cared for “end-of-the-world” hoopla until now. I don’t know if it’s so much “I believe it’s going to happen” as much as “I hope it’s going to happen”? Some time between college and realizing I’ve reached the age where it’s no longer socially acceptable to say, “I don’t have a job and I’m not really sure what I want to do with my degree,” the notion of an apocalypse has become attractive. Maybe it’s my generation’s way of once again notoriously dodging responsibility, or I don’t know, maybe the media has glorified living in survival-type scenarios, but the idea of having no choice but to be as resourceful and creative as possible excites me.

Both Nostradamus and the Mayans predict that December 2012, our planet will suffer cataclysmic consequences, if not come to an end.

“Hey Nostradamus, you sure it’s a comet and not a zombie outbreak?” /grin.

I tease about wanting World War Z to happen but I don’t think my Boy Scout skills would transfer very well. You don’t get a badge for “severing the head, or destroying the brain.” And if killing Nazi zombies in COD: World at War is any measure of how I’d fend in an actual zombie apocalypse, unless there’s an insta-kill power-up lying around, I wouldn’t get past whatever the real-life equivalent of level 10 is.

Mass animal deaths, and a curious slew of natural disasters? We’re right on track for a Michael Bay movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment