BBC – A man who burned to death in his home died as a result of spontaneous combustion, an Irish coroner has ruled. It is believed to be the first case of its kind in Ireland. West Galway coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin said it was the first time in 25 years of investigating deaths that he had returned such a verdict. Michael Faherty, 76, died at his home at Clareview Park, Ballybane, Galway on 22 December 2010. An inquest in Galway on Thursday heard how investigators had been baffled as to the cause of death. Forensic experts found a fire in the fireplace of the sitting room where the badly burnt body was found had not been the cause of the blaze that killed Mr Faherty. The court was told that no trace of an accelerant had been found and there had been nothing to suggest foul play. The court heard Mr Faherty had been found lying on his back with his head closest to an open fireplace. The fire had been confined to the sitting room. The only damage was to the body, which was totally burnt, the ceiling above him and the floor underneath him. Dr McLoughlin said he had consulted medical textbooks and carried out other research in an attempt to find an explanation. He said Professor Bernard Knight, in his book on forensic pathology, had written about spontaneous combustion and noted that such reported cases were almost always near an open fireplace or chimney. “This fire was thoroughly investigated and I’m left with the conclusion that this fits into the category of spontaneous human combustion, for which there is no adequate explanation,” he said.
1. I guess one of those gingers went into the sun.
2. Did we not learn anything from the South Park episode about spontaneous combustion?
3. How is spontaneous combustion a legitimate cause of anything, especially after an investigation since December?
4. The guy was 76 years old. Can't we just say he died of old age? Has anyone seen an old Irish ginger? Don't think so. Normally they drink heavily and sleep in coffins until they are summoned back to hell because that is where their soul remains.
5. Where did this coroner get his degree? Torchwood? That's a joke for all the Whovians that read my blog.
6. What a cop out by the coroner. Is this his last open case til he retires? "What about this arson doc?" "Fuck it, spontaneous combustion. Now, give me my gold watch and let me retire already."
7. When did BBC become as reputable as Weekly World News? What's next BBC, bat boy?
8. Maybe he was just masturbating.